Using a VPN is one of the best ways to keep your data safe while browsing the web. As we increasingly spend more time on our phones than on our PCs, it becomes even more essential to use mobile VPN services.
In this article, we’ll help you understand how to set up a VPN on Android for free. There are several ways you can do that, and we’ll discuss each of them in this step-by-step guide.
Before we proceed, it’s worth noting that Android’s built-in VPN service isn’t really your most secure option. It uses obsolete protocols that have limited security features, like PPTP, IPSec, and L2TP.
Without further ado, let’s go through how you can set up a VPN on your Android phone for free. Follow these steps:
1. Open the settings menu. You can do that by either swiping down the notifications panel or clicking on the settings icon.
2. Open network settings. This will be labeled as either “Wireless & Networks” or “Wi-Fi & Internet,” depending on your phone’s model and Android version.
3. Tap VPN. This option may not be directly visible. Swipe down and click on “more” if you can’t find it.
4. Tap the plus sign at the top. The plus sign allows you to add a new VPN network. If your device doesn’t have a plus sign, navigate the settings until you find an “Advanced options” menu.
5. Configure your new VPN. Once you get to the new VPN form, you need to enter all the required information like username, password, and server address. If you don’t have this information, you can contact your network provider.
Due to the different user interfaces that Android phones use, some settings may not be displayed in the same sequence we’ve listed. If you can’t find some of the above settings, you can always use the search bar to find what you’re looking for.
Another way to connect to a VPN is to connect to an OpenVPN network. Here’s how you can do that:
1. Download the OpenVPN app from the Google Play Store. It’s free to download.
2. Import a profile. The profile should contain the required data provided by your network administrator. You can do that by either using a URL or a .ovpn file.
3. Add a Proxy Connection. It works as a gateway between you and the internet for extra security.
4. Make additional adjustments. Go through the settings, choose the protocol you prefer, and enable a battery saver or kill switch if necessary.
By completing this article, you should now be able to set up your own VPN network on Android for free. The process is quite simple, and it should get you up and running in no time. If you have any additional concerns or questions, feel free to reach out to us anytime.